Plastic surgery was once considered a cosmetic procedure exclusively for women. In the past, men have avoided plastic surgery due to societal stigma and the contrast between men’s and women’s beauty standards. However, men are also increasingly partaking in plastic surgery.
According to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, 13% of all cosmetic procedures performed in 2020 were done on men, which is nearly 290,000. Men have the same insecurities about their appearance as women do, and they realize how their looks affect their personal and professional lives. Women still outnumber men, but the gap is narrowing as more men realize the significant benefits cosmetic procedures can offer in improved appearance and confidence.
Benefits of Plastic Surgery for Men
Men notice their body changes due to aging and parenting, and it starts to look completely different in their 30s and 40s. To look and feel their best, an increasing number of men are seeking cosmetic procedures to improve their appearance and self-esteem while benefiting their physical and mental health.
- Increased Confidence: Some men turn to plastic surgery because they’re unhappy with a particular element of their appearance. Others want to look younger to stay competitive among younger peers at work. Plastic surgery can boost dating prospects by helping men to feel more attractive and desirable. Many men who undergo plastic surgery report feeling better about themselves and having more confidence in their personal and professional lives.
- Relief of Medical Conditions: Beyond aesthetic advantages, plastic surgery offers benefits that can improve your physical health. For example, a deviated septum can be repaired during rhinoplasty, back pain from gynecomastia can be relieved by breast reduction surgery, and excess skin following weight loss can be removed with body sculpting procedures.
Common Procedures for Men
From chiseled jawlines to sculpted bodies, a diverse range of plastic surgery options cater specifically to the male demographic.
- Male Face Lifts: Men encounter just as many aging insecurities as women do. The face is often one of the first places that people notice signs of aging with wrinkles, sagging skin, dark circles, and sagging cheekbones. While injectable fillers can help people with early signs of aging, men with older skin and more extensive needs benefit from a male facelift.
- Chin Augmentation: To achieve more proportionate facial features, eliminate the look of a double chin, or achieve a more masculine jawline and profile, many men choose chin augmentation. A chin augmentation involves inserting a silicone implant over the existing chin to create a more pronounced chin.
- Rhinoplasty: Rhinoplasty, or a nose job, is the most common facial cosmetic procedure for men and women. This procedure is designed to reshape the nose for cosmetic or medical benefits. It can also be used to correct irregularities caused by injuries, such as those incurred while playing sports.
- Liposuction: Liposuction is the most requested cosmetic procedure among women and men. In 2020, about 22,000 men underwent liposuction, and high numbers continue today. When diet and exercise don’t remove stubborn areas of fat, men often choose liposuction to eliminate the “dad bod” look and achieve a firmer, more toned physique. Liposuction for men can be performed on the upper arms, chest, back, and abdomen.
Discover the Right Male Cosmetic Procedure for You
The notion that plastic surgery is exclusively for women is being shattered as more men recognize the benefits it can offer. Plastic surgery not only helps men enhance their physical appearance but also boosts their confidence and self-esteem. It can address specific concerns, relieve medical conditions, and improve overall physical and mental health. As societal attitudes continue to evolve, more men are embracing the idea that they too can benefit from plastic surgery to achieve their desired appearance and lead happier, more fulfilling lives.
If you’re looking for advice on the best cosmetic procedure for you, know that you’re not alone. Dr. Sanjay Lalla and his team are ready to assist you. Contact our office at (973) 324-9455 to schedule a consultation.