Eyelid surgery, also referred to as blepharoplasty is a great procedure to consider to achieve a more youthful look. Eyelid surgery is a viable option for men and women who want to turn back time and rejuvenate their appearances. Many patients have some misconceptions about eyelid surgery. To follow is a look at the most commonly believed myths concerning eyelid surgery and the real answers you should know.
- Blepharoplasty is only for the upper eyelids. The term blepharoplasty refers to both upper and lower eyelids. Upper lids generally need to have loose skin removed where lower lids generally have fat pockets and puffy skin taken out.
- Eyelid surgery is mainly for the elderly. Although most patients seeking eyelid surgery may be over 40, many younger patients have early-forming bags under their eyes and naturally droopy eyelids.
- Eyelid surgery recovery is extremely painful. Actually, eyelid surgery is considered one of the least painful invasive plastic surgeries. Most patients report feeling tightness caused by swelling in their eyelids for a few days after surgery, or itchy eyes, but this is classified as uncomfortable, not necessarily painful.
- Results may look overdone and you won’t be able to close your eyes after surgery. This is incredibly rare when blepharoplasty is performed by a board certified plastic surgeon who has performed countless blepharoplasty procedures. The likelihood of this type of complication is very low.
- Eyelid surgery can be both a medical and cosmetic procedure, so it is covered by insurance. This is generally false. The only case where insurance may possibly cover blepharoplasty is when upper eyelids have sagged to the point where they obstruct vision.
- Eyelid surgery scars are noticeable. Skilled plastic surgeons place incisions in inconspicuous natural creases in the eyelid to make scars as close to invisible as possible. Over time, scars fade and become less and less noticeable.
Eyelid Surgery in West Orange and Jersey City
Ready to explore plastic surgery for the first time? Take the first step – contact us today. To schedule your plastic surgery consultation with Dr. Sanjay Lalla, call our West Orange office at 973-324-9455 or our Jersey City office at 201-763-6764. We look forward to hearing from you.