For many men, enlarged breasts are the source of extreme insecurity. A condition known as gynecomastia classifies the over sized or enlarged breasts that are seen in men as often as 40 to 60 percent. This condition can develop at any age, and is often the results of hormonal changes, heredity, obesity or certain medications. Male breast reduction works to flatten the chest, and restore a more masculine contour to the pectoral muscles. In extreme cases of gynecomastia where the skin and nipples may have been over stretched, the nipple and areola will be surgically re-positioned after excess skin has been excised.
Male Breast Reduction Candidates:
- Have over sized breasts that do not respond to diet and exercise
- Are healthy, non-smokers
- Have realistic expectations and a positive outlook for the results of the pocedure
- Maintain a healthy, normal weight
- Suffer insecurity from the size of their breasts
Male Breast Reduction Procedure
- Most procedures involve liposuction of the breast areas to remove excess fat
- Depending on the size of the breasts, skin may be removed
- If skin is removed, the scars are often hidden in natural, less conspicuous folds
- Some procedures combine liposuction and skin excision
- When skin excision is performed, the nipple and areola are re-positioned to lend to a more natural-looking position
Is Plastic Surgery Just for Women?
- This statement is false, in fact annually men are increasingly considering and undergoing plastic surgery procedures nationwide
- According to The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS), 22,638 male breast reduction procedures were performed in 2013
- ASAPS research found a 273 percent increase of men undergoing cosmetic procedures from 1997 to 2013
Considering Male Breast Reduction? Contact Dr. Lalla.
Are you ashamed of your male developed breasts? Take the first step – contact us today with any questions you may have about male breast reduction. To schedule your plastic surgery consultation with Dr. Sanjay Lalla, call our West Orange office at 973-324-9455 or our Jersey City office at 201-763-6764. We look forward to hearing from you.